Monday, March 15, 2010

Under the Sea


Lincoln Park, NJ has officially become an underwater town. My apartment complex looked more like a lake than a group of apartments. My garage (and Ron's couch, tv, etc) is filled with four feet of water. In fact, the whole town is basically filled with water, closing streets and ruining houses, cars, etc. Trapped inside yesterday, Ron and I SERIOUSLY cheated on our diets and watched movies all day. I had my first breakfast sandwich in 3 and 1/2 months...yummm :-) We also had corn beef and potatoes (because cabbage? Ew) which followed a Saturday of Pizza Hut and beer. Food of champions, indeed. Even though my weekend probably put about 700 pounds back on, I feel okay. This diet is really making me feel better about myself...both in appearance and physically. I already ever feel nauseous or sick any more! I don't know what's much better than that.

So yes, flooding. One of my new co-workers was talking about how all the rain prescribed for the upcoming weekend was going to wash away the snow and create a flood situation. Being myself, I rolled my eyes and turned away from the conversation, thinking it sounded ridiculous. Ha! Joke's on me! I can't even believe something of this magnitude can happen in northern NJ. This hurricane turned lake seems like something that happens only in places thousands of miles away, somewhere people you know don't call home. It's hard enough to comprehend what's going on in my area, but it's even worse to hear about the people who truly have problems: those who had to be evacuated from their homes and have watched their possessions float along in their wake. It makes tragedy seem all the more real when it's literally in your backyard. I'm thankful for all that I have: my boyfriend's wonderful family who are letting me stay in their home (like I don't normally?) until my heat is turned back on. I'm thankful for my new job and the contentment it provides me. I'm especially thankful for Ron, who is not only just there for me, but is usually a few steps ahead of me...already providing what I didn't even know I needed. And I'm beyond happy about the growing I've done in myself this past year. I feel like I've come full circle, much of which is thanks to learning from Ron. He's a pretty good role model. I'm happy I'm making it on my own, living in my own apartment and actually paying bills instead of just "filing" it (if filing means shoving it in your junk drawer only to find it months later, then yes filing). I'm just happy to be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment